WHY STUDY COMMUNICATION?
Through this program, students will be able to:
- Understand how communication plays a central role in their personal, professional, and social lives.
- Effectively communicate in both oral and written contexts.
- Understand how communication can aid in the creation of a more civil and humane world.
- Discuss and assess significant issues in the discipline of communication.
- Evaluate and apply communication research and theories to their personal, professional, and social lives.
- Develop awareness beyond ethnocentrism through the study of communication from diverse cultures.
The educational mission of the Communication major and minor is to empower students with the necessary knowledge and skills to develop meaningful relationships on an interpersonal, professional, and public level. The Communication program enables students to learn appropriate and effective communication strategies that appreciate diverse perspectives and cultures and provides ample opportunities to practice communicating in various contexts in an evolving world. The Communication major offers both a human and a strategic track.